Šumava National Park

History of nature protection

The history of nature protection as we understand it today is around 100 years old, although some measures were implemented by landowners at earlier times. Such measures were intended to protect their property or create a more romantic landscape, but also contributed to nature protection.

In 1858, Prince Jan Adolf Schwarzenberg forbade commercial forestry in the Boubín primeval forest.

Vilém Hohenzollern implemented protection of the Černé and Čertovo jezero glacial lakes from 1911.

In 1933, the government declared State Nature Reserves at Boubínský prales, Černé and Čertovo jezero, Rokytecká slať, Jezerní slať, Trojmezná hora and elsewhere.

In 1963, the Czechoslovakian Ministry of Culture established the Šumava Protected Landscape Area covering an area of 1630 km². This law was amended and strengthened in 1975.

In 1978, with effect from 1st January, 1979, the Šumava Natural Water Accumulation Protected Area was established on the same area as the PLA (and the current NP).

On 27th March, 1990 UNESCO declared Šumava a Biosphere Reserve.

On 20th March, 1991 the Czech Government passed decree No. 163/1991 Coll., which established the Šumava National Park and set the conditions for its protection, and rewarded the long-term efforts of state nature protection bodies and many volunteer protectors of nature and lovers of Šumava to have Šumava declared a National Park. A buffer zone around the 690 km² of Šumava NP was not declared - as the Šumava Protected Landscape Area, which surrounded the National Park, would fulfil this function.